Written Notice

WARNING: This article explains the new homeschooling regulation in general and gives suggestions for fulfilling your legal obligations. This is not a legal opinion nor is it legal advice. For information specific to your situation, consult a lawyer. This article does not replace the content of the official guide mentioned in section 459.5.1 of the Education Act, which will be developed by the Minister and will be released no later than July 1, 2019. See AQED’s strategy.


You can decide to homeschool at any time.


You must send your notice at the latest on July 1st. You will need to send two copies, by snail mail or email: one to the Minister and the other to your local school board. You can also choose to use the online form on the MEES website (click on "Create an account" and follow the instructions on the website.) If you would rather send your notice by email or snail mail, you can download the official MEES form for the 2019-2020 school year or the template in English of the AQED notice and modify it for your child.


Instructions are different if you decide to homeschool after July 1st. If you decide to homeschool after that date, you must send your notice within 10 days after your child stops attending school. 


Heads up !
The notice of homeschooling serves to notify that you are exercising your right to homeschool. It is not a request for permission. You do not have to justify your decision or wait for confirmation to remove your child from school or to start homeschooling.


Communications with the Ministry should be through :


Direction de l’enseignement à la maison
Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur
600, rue Fullum, 11e étage
Montréal (Québec)  H2K 4L1
514 787-3582
1 866 747-6626
Fax : 514 864-8921
Email : dem [at] education.gouv.qc.ca 

To find your school board using your postal code, visit the Élections Québec website, then click on the link to the school board, (Their mailing address is normally at the bottom of the first page.) You can also use the list on the MEES website: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/find-a-school-board/


*** New information : we have been informed by one of our members that the address for the Commission Scolaire de Montréal website indicated on the two government websites above is wrong. The correct website for CSDM is : https://csdm.ca and you can contact them at: Enseignement_Maison [at] csdm.qc.ca ***

If you cannot read French, you can probably send the written notice in English even to a French school board, as the regulation doesn’t specify what language you need to use.

The Minister will send you a written receipt confirmation within 15 days of receiving your notice. Make sure to keep your receipt confirmation.


Information that must be included (see sample letter below)

1. Child Identification

Child’s first and last name, address, and date of birth 

Permanent Code: If your child has attended a school, add this information. Otherwise, write “not applicable”. The permanent code should appear on report cards and some other documents received from the school board or the school. You could also call the school attended to know your child’s permanent code. If your child has attended a school in the province of Quebec and you do not know the permanent code, we suggest you simply write “unknown”.

2. Parents Identification

Parents’ first and last names, address, and telephone number NB : It is important to write down the names and contact details of both parents, even if only one parent has full custody of the child. 

3.Student’s school board

The school board in which your child is currently registered. If your child is not yet registered with a school board, enter the name of the French language school board in your area (if your child is eligible for education in English, you can choose the anglophone school board in your area.)

4. School board chosen for services (if different) 

If you are entitled to register in a different school board, (for example, because you have an extraterritorial agreement with your school board or your child is entitled to English education) and you prefer to receive services from that school board, indicate it here.

5. Date of withdrawal from School

If your child has attended school, date the child stopped or will stop attending school

6. One parent’s signature