Annual Evaluation

What is an Annual Evaluation?

According to the Regulations, the child must be evaluated at least once during the year.

Parents have four evaluation options. Three of which are carried out by a third party (whom we call an evaluator), and the other is an evaluation carried out by the parent by analyzing the child’s activities and work in a portfolio that is submitted to the Minister (DEM). 

A fifth method of evaluation happens in certain years and only for certain subjects, when the child must take mandatory ministry exams.  In the French sector, these exams are held in grades 4, 6, and secondary 2, 4 and 5. In the English Sector, the exams are held in grades 6, secondary 4 and 5.

It is possible to combine more than one method of evaluation in order to assess all the subjects covered by the learning project. 

Choice of Evaluation Method 

The choice of evaluation method must be included in the learning plan, but can be changed at any time during the year.

Some evaluators will be more open than others to different methods of evaluation (portfolio, discussion with the parent, discussion with the child, etc.) Contact the different evaluators early enough to have time to make your decision.

5 Types of Evaluation

  • By Portfolio

    The most popular type of evaluation is the portfolio. It consists of a paper or digital document made by the parent, showing activities carried out by your child over the course of the school year, for each of the subjects covered. It can be combined with the completion reportto avoid repeating information in both places.

    • The portfolio is created at your expense.
    • The portfolio is reviewed by the DEM, free of charge.
    • Your resource person is required to provide this service if you request it.
    • The portfolio must be attached to the completion report.
    By a Holder of a Quebec Teaching License
    • This is at your expense.
    • Teachers are not required by law to provide this service.  
    • You are free to choose the teacher, as long as they hold one of the following Quebec teaching licenses: :
      • Teaching certificate
      • Teaching permit
      • Teaching license
      • Provisional teaching authorization
    • This person may be someone you know, a teacher your child has liked, a teacher from a private company or yourself if you hold a teaching license. 
    • This type of evaluation rarely takes the form of an exam: it can be carried out by any other method deemed appropriate by the licensee (portfolio, discussion with parents, discussion with the child, observations of examples of achievements, photos, videos, etc.).

    AQED has a list of certified teachers that its members can access.

    By Taking Ministry Exams
    • This service is free.
    • The school service center (SSC) or school board (SB) is required to provide you with the test and its preparation. 

    Contact your SSC or SB at the beginning of the school year to register your child. While these tests are mandatory, it is your responsibility to ensure that your child is registered.

    Please note: While homeschooling families who use English as the language of instruction may take Ministry exams in English with an English School Board regardless of English eligibility status, they must take the Secondary 4/5 exams in French with a French SSC if they are doing so to obtain credits towards a Quebec secondary school diploma (SSD). Please see Homeschooling in High School for more information.

    Please note that, following the 2019 Regulations (FR), Ministry exams have been mandatory since the 2021-2022 school year for the grades to which they apply. You can consult the Ministry Site to see the list and grades concerned.

    By Your School Service Center or School Board
    • This service is free.
    • The law does not require the SSC/SB to provide it.
    • The evaluation is not necessarily in the form of an exam: it can be carried out by any other method negotiated with your SSC/SB.
      • Article 15 of the regulation specifically gives permission to SSCs/SBs to carry out non-summative evaluations (e.g. a portfolio, an interview, etc.). Contact your SSC/SB for details.
    • This type of evaluation is favored by families whose children are in the process of obtaining a diploma, or who are planning to return to school.
    By a Private School
    • This is at your expense.
    • Private schools are not required by law to provide this service.
    • The evaluation is not necessarily in the form of an exam: it can be carried out by any other method agreed upon with the private school. 
      • Article 15 of the regulation specifically gives permission to private schools to carry out non-summative assessments (e.g. portfolio, interview, etc.). 
      • Contact the school to find out if they offer this service and how to opt in.

    You can select the private school of your choice.

    A list of private schools is available here.

When Should I Send It?

If you are using an evaluator, you must send proof of evaluation to the DEM by July 10 (except for secondary 4 and 5 ministerial exams, where proof must be received by July 15).

If you have chosen to submit a portfolio, it must be sent to the DEM no later than June 15.

Where Should I Send It?

The results of the evaluation are for your records. It is not necessary to submit them to the DEM. You must, however, send proof that your child has been evaluated.

For example, you can cross out the mark on the transcript you receive from your SSC/SB  following an examination before sending the document to the DEM to prove that your child has indeed been evaluated.

Same goes for an evaluation done by a holder of a teaching license, you don’t have to send the entire evaluation report to the DEM, just the conclusion. Some PRs even accept a simple letter of attestation signed by the teacher.

Direction de l’enseignement à la maison
Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur
600, rue Fullum, 11e étage
Montréal (Québec)  H2K 4L1
514 787-3582
1 866 747-6626
Fax : 514 864-8921

Email : [email protected]

Secure Site for Homeschool Providers (

Templates and resource documents are available in the Member’s Zone.

There you will find information related to the portfolio:

  • What is a portfolio? 
  • Minimalist portfolio template
  • An accompanying document template  
  • Turnkey template combined with the completion report
  • Combined portfolio and completion report template

For evaluation by a holder of a teaching license:

  • A template to be completed by the licensed teacher, following the evaluation
  • A letter of attestation of the evaluation

In addition to these documents, numerous examples are available. 

At any time, members may contact member support to get help.

Frequently Asked Questions About Evaluation Methods

  • What does a portfolio look like?

    The portfolio should illustrate the activities carried out by your child during the year. We recommend keeping it short, around 10 pages.

    The portfolio can be printed or digital. Check out our Resources, for examples of portfolios submitted by our members. 

    What to include in the portfolio?

    You can choose a few examples of activities or work carried out during the year. For example: written traces, photos, videos of a personal project, certificates, or any other document showing that your child has carried out activities or used resources. 

    You can include items for which you don’t have a physical trace; you can describe one or more examples where your child has demonstrated his or her learning (for example, the fact that he or she regularly calculates change when buying things at the convenience store). 

    Depending on the materials or examples you use, an example may combine one or more of the competencies or subjects/disciplines.

    What does AQED suggest in terms of portfolio content?

    The law doesn’t define what a portfolio is or what it should include. We believe that parents should be able to choose the format that suits them best.

    According to the law, the child’s progress must be commented on in the reports. There is no mention of progress also being discussed in the portfolio. Nor is there any mention of dated work, or of commenting on the educational intent of each activity. 

    There is no mention in the law that the portfolio must include comments from the child. These requirements derive from DEM’s internal guidelines. According to AQED, since the parent is the evaluator of the portfolio, he or she should be able to choose the format and content of the portfolio in order to fulfill this requirement.

    What does the DEM expect in terms of the portfolio?

    The DEM asks that: 

    • Comments from the child be included.
    • All traces are dated and should reflect current skills and abilities.
    • There are three traces per subject.
    • The parent’s educational intention is indicated for each trace presented for context.
    • The parent provides an assessment of the child’s progress. 

    The DEM has created a guide called Homeschooling Requirements: Guide for Parent-Educators, which includes  what is expected in terms of the portfolio. It can be found on the Secure Site

  • Where are the Ministry exams for homeschooled children held?

    Ministry exams will be administered at any location deemed reasonable by the SSC or SB, according to its own procedures. For example, some SSCs or SBs group homeschooled children together in a room on their premises. In this way, all homeschooled children are together. In other SSCs or SBs, homeschoolers are integrated into neighborhood school classrooms, alongside students attending the school. You should find out what your service center or school board offers, and discuss it with them if you feel their proposal is not optimal for your child or your situation.

    What happens if your child fails his/her Ministry exam?

    For students in grades 4, 6 and secondary 2, there is no impact on their educational journey if they fail. They can continue learning at home. The Ministry exam is one of the evaluation methods, and probably the least representative of what they have learned. 

    If, on the other hand, your child plans to enter the school system, you’ll need to consult the school or school service center/school board to see if failure will affect his or her placement. Many young people in the school system fail the Ministry exams and continue their educational journey.

    At the end of the correction period for Secondary 4 and 5 Ministry exams, a transcript is mailed to each student. The results can also be consulted in the Student Online Services. If your child fails a grade, a note to that effect will appear on his or her transcript. The note will explain your child’s options, which may include repeating the course, contesting the grade or retaking the exam.

    For more information on single-test results, visit the Ministry’s website.

    The Ministry has also produced a Parent Guide (FR) (please note this page is in French but English PDFs are available for the relevant exams in English).

    What do I need to know about the Uniform Exams for secondary 4 and 5?

    Unlike the exams administered in grades 4, 6 and secondary 2, the exams administered in secondary 4 and 5 have an impact on whether or not your choice is to obtain a high school diploma (SSD) for your child.
    For more information, please refer to the section on homeschooling in high school.

  • Can a parent-educator be a child's evaluator if he or she holds a valid teaching license?

    Yes, anyone with a valid teaching license in Quebec can evaluate a child, including their own child. 

    In this case, it doesn’t seem necessary to write an evaluation report by the evaluator, since the parent and evaluator are the same person. The parent’s (and therefore the evaluator’s) observations are already included in the completion report.

    Where can I find teachers offering an evaluation service?

    AQED provides its members with une liste d’enseignants a list of teachers who are willing to offer this service and who are familiar with homeschooling. You can also ask anyone you know who has a teaching certificate or teaching license.

    Do I have to give the DEM the name, date of birth and license number of the licensed teacher who will be evaluating my child?

    Yes, the DEM must verify that the evaluator is qualified. You must therefore provide the name, date of birth and license number of the teacher.

    What is the average cost for this type of evaluation?

    Typically, parents pay between $150 and $200 for an evaluation, and the price may increase slightly for the addition of siblings. Be sure to ask the service provider for details, as some can charge two or three times the amount you’ll find elsewhere.

    What should be included in a licensed teachers report following an evaluation?

    The teacher’s report describes the child’s learning progress. It substantiates what has been observed in relation to the end-of-cycle outcomes. Are these expectations being met, or have they already been mastered? It can highlight the skills the child has developed and the challenges he or she faces. The evaluation document is usually one to three pages long.AQED provides its members with a template to help teachers write their evaluation