Individualized Path

Homeschooled children all require individualized education.

Homeschooling can be the solution to challenges that the school system struggles to meet— autism, giftedness, learning disabilities (DYS, ADHD, etc.), physical disabilities, anxiety, school phobia, or chronic illness.  It’s natural for parents to respond to their children’s needs, and homeschooling offers conditions that can prove ideal.

School Rhythm

Whether it’s a question of taking the time needed or following an accelerated pace, it is we, the parent-educators, who determine our children’s academic level according to their abilities and needs. The level worked on may differ from one subject to another or according to the strengths and challenges demonstrated. For  example, a child with dyscalculia who, based on their age, would be in 4th grade, can be placed in 2nd grade mathematics, in 5th grade for social studies and in 4th grade for other subjects. 

Learning Disabilities

There are tons of ways to meet needs of a child experiencing learning difficulties: spending more time on a concept, diversifying teaching methods (through projects, games, media and literature, etc.), introducing adaptations (working on a computer, allowing more time to complete a task, working orally, etc.), and so on. Don’t hesitate to combine different teaching methods and resources.

Depending on the child’s needs, everything can be adapted. You can let your dyspraxic child write in very large letters on an erasable board or use a computer, let your dysphasic child learn through different video games, or let your dyslexic child listen to audio books. The possibilities are endless. Helping a child with learning difficulties requires energy and time. As a parent, it’s important to have the support of those around you and the community. Don’t hesitate to ask other AQED families for strategies via the Facebook groups.

Certain programs, like Défi mathématique for the home, and certain teaching styles, like the grammar of Montessori teaching, offer learning centred on manipulation and understanding, which is often better suited to children with learning difficulties.

Finding different options which work well for childen with challenges can be time-consuming. Give yourself time and the opportunity for trial and error. AQED offers its members manipulatives. Contact your regional representative to learn how to borrow materials. Some municipal libraries rent out educational games.

Acceleration or Enrichment?

When a child is gifted, the tendency is to get through the subject material more quickly.  Another way to meet the needs of gifted children is to offer enrichment, either by going deeper into the subject, or by introducing another subject (third language, philosophy, etc.) depending on the child’s interests and abilities.

One approach is not necessarily better than the other. Acceleration or enrichment remain the family’s choice, in keeping with the child’s strengths and challenges.


Monitoring by the Direction de l’enseignement à la maison (DEM)

Although it is not compulsory to inform the DEM of your child’s challenges or diagnoses (if applicable), it can be very useful to do so, especially if they are developing at a different pace from that expected for their age in the school environment. If your child needs adaptations or to follow a different pace, you don’t need a diagnosis to implement them. However, it is advisable to carefully document the situation and state it clearly in your learning plan.

If an area of learning is approached at a different pace or by starting at a different level than the child’s age, it is a good idea to include in your learning plan: 

  • The actual level of instruction.
  • An explanation of the difficulties and a plan for adjusting the teaching to the child’s abilities.

If a unique situation makes it impossible to cover one of the mandatory subject areas, it is possible to make an application for exemption under Article 8 of the Homeschooling Regulation of the Education Act. In the event of significant academic difficulties, other programs may be offered by the DEM depending on needs and requests (for example the CASP program). This is why it is recommended that you inform the person responsible for your file at the DEM or via an association like AQED of any challenges you encounter.


Getting Support

According to the Education Act, you can obtain certain services from your school service centre (SSC) or school board (SB).

If your child requires the services from a SSC or SB, don’t hesitate to add details in your learning project to explain your situation.
If you have difficulty obtaining them, don’t hesitate to let your DEM resource person know.

Useful Links

The inclusion of a business in this list does not constitute an endorsement from AQED nor are these providers paid sponsors.  We share this information so that families know what is available, not necessarily what is recommended.